Did you know that more than 12, 000 women in the United States will be diagnosed with Cervical Cancer? Cervical cancer was a major cause of death of women in the US, however this does not mean it’s still not deadly. Cervical Health Awareness Month is to raise awareness about women protecting themselves from HPV and Cervical Cancer.
What is Cervical Cancer?
Cervical cancer happens when abnormal cells on the cervix grow out of control. This type of cancer is most commonly found in women worldwide. Cervical cancer is mainly caused by HPV.
Some symptoms that a woman may experience showing signs of cervical cancer are:
• Abnormal vaginal bleeding
• Unusual discharge
• Pain during sex
• Pain in the lower belly
There are many ways to reduce your risk of getting cervical cancer. Some are those ways are:
• Pap Smear (Pap Test) – looks for pre-cancers, cells that change on the cervix that can possibly turn into cervical cancer if not treated right away. Women should start getting Pap tests at the age of 21.
• HPV test-looks for the virus that can cause the cells to change
• Getting an HPV vaccine is recommended for girls 11 through 26 years old.
• Don’t smoke
• Use condoms during sexual intercourse
What is HPV?
Human papillomavirus also known as HPV is one of the most common sexually transmitted infection in the U.S. HPV is very common that nearly most men and women that are sexually active have gotten this infection at one point in their life. There are various types of HPV; some cause health problems including genital warts
• Genitals warts shaped as cauliflower; they can come in singles or groups.
However, in most HPV cases there are no symptoms, which delays the process of diagnosis for most patients.
• Getting vaccinated for the HPV virus
• Limit your number of partners
• Using a condom
• Getting a Pap smear
Did you know that about more than 20 million Americans currently have HPV and another 6 million will become newly infected? Get out and share the information you learned today. Get everyone and stay aware in this month of January.