Autism Spectrum Disorder - Raising Awareness: Autism spectrum disorder is a lifelong developmental disability that affects how individuals interact with the world and people around them. While people with autism may share certain difficulties, the condition manifests itself in different ways in different individuals. All people on the autism spectrum have their own ways of learning and developing, therefore the kinds of support needed will depend on the individual.
Autism is often referred to as a "hidden disability" because the condition often does not "look" visible. Parents may come to believe a child with the condition is acting out, and adults with autism can feel misunderstood and isolated. Although autism can severely impact daily living, support for those affected is improving as our understanding of the condition evolves.
Check out this infographic for important facts and stats about autism spectrum disorder:
Autism Spectrum Disorder - What is Autism?
Autism is a developmental disability that can cause significant impairment in language development, social interaction, communication, and behavior. Everyone is affected by autism differently, and it can range from very mild to very severe.
Autism Spectrum Disorder - 6 Early Signs
Children cannot outgrow autism, but studies show that it is treatable with early diagnosis and intervention. Here's some things to look for early on:
- Difficulty learning language
- Inappropriate laughing
- Social withdrawal
- Little or no eye contact
- Repetitive use of language and/or mannerisms
- Lack of spontaneous play
Autism Spectrum Disorder - 4 Important Stats
- 25% of children with autism have communication disabilities
- 40% of children with autism have intellectual disabilities
- The recurrence rate of autism in families is 20%
- 15% of autism cases are because of genetic disorders
Autism Spectrum Disorder - Prevalence
- 10+ million people worldwide are affected by autism
- Another child is diagnosed with autism every 20 seconds
- Boys are four times more likely than girls to be diagnosed with autism
- Autism has a growth rate of 1,148%