What is laughter?
Laughter is the physiological response to humor. Humor is the quality of being amusing or comical, whether expressed through speech or literature. Laughter consists of two parts, a set of gestures and the creation of sound.
Health Benefits of Laughter
1. Humor may raise the level of infection-fighting antibodies
2. Laughter increases blood flow by 22%, and decreases stress by 35 %
3. Reduces stress-related hormones
4. Improves cardiac health
5. Lowers blood pressures
6. Helps you to relax muscles in your body
7. Decreases pain
Laughter Therapy / Humor Therapy
Laughter therapy is the use of humor to promote overall health and wellness. It aims to use the natural physiological process of laughter to help relieve physical/emotional stress or discomfort that the individual may be suffering from at the moment.
Benefits of Laughter Therapy:
• Enhances oxygen intake
• Improves mental functions such as alertness, memory and creativity
• Eases digestion/soothes stomach aches
• Improves sleep
• Strengthens social bonds and relationships
• Enhances quality of life
• Improves overall attitude
5 Interesting Facts about Laughter
1. Rats are ticklish
2. Your brain can detect a fake laugh from a genuine laugh
3. Laughter is contagious
4. People laugh 30 times more in social situations than by themselves.
5. Laughter triggers the activation of the endorphin system
What is your favorite joke? Is the joke funny only to you or to everyone that you tell the joke to?