More than 400,000 Americans die from obesity yearly. Eating too many calories and not burning the calories can lead to a serious unhealthy lifestyle.
How can you tell if you’re obese or overweight? By measuring weight and height, BMI (Body Mass Index) is calculated and that indicates the amount of body fat you have. A BMI between 25 and 29.9 is considered overweight and a BMI of 30 and higher is consider obese. There are many BMI calculator tools online that can help you determine if you’re overweight!
You know you’re overweight when…
· You have a BMI of 25 to 29
· You are blaming allergies for shortness of breathe
· Your pants have “shrunk”
· You have to wear spanks with every outfit
· When you get a workout getting into your skinny jeans
· You can’t get a good night’s sleep
· You feel tired all the time
If you are overweight and would like to begin exercising, here are some tips!
· Focus on long term benefits. Blaming yourself is just going to make you feel horrible, instead focus on long-term benefits of having a healthier life. Love yourself and don’t focus on the scale or waistline. Rewards yourself for every milestone you make, you deserve it!
· Find something you enjoy
Maybe running miles a day isn’t your thing. Find a sport or activity you really enjoy and that hour of activity burning calories will be over before yo
u know it! Finding something you enjoy will help you stick to your weight loss goals easily. Once you find that activity, start off slow of what you’re physically capable of and build from there.
· Involve friends
Don’t do it alone! Having a support network, either online or in person can help you stay on track and feel good accomplishing weight loss goals together.
Taking that first step to a healthier life style can be a life changing decision. Getting starting on the right foot, will help you feel more motivated to stick to your goals and develop healthier habits.